Fire Department History
Corner East Rd. (M-13) and Zeros Rd.
The building was erected in 1955. Fire protection for Spaulding Twp. was assumed June 1, 1955. Formal dedication on April 17, 1955. Honorable Alvin M. Bentley, principal speaker for the day; a Volunteer Fire Dept. with thirty (30) trained men; Mr. Charles Therry. (deceased 1967) was training instructor; Mr. Sydney Dunkerly (deceased) was first aid instructor.
Chester M. Ferchau, (deceased 1963) was chosen the first Fire Chief, by Spaulding Township board, composed of Julius Sutto, Sydney Dunkerly, Charles Pagel, Louis Lentner and Jack Peterson. Herbert Young appointed Ass’t Chief. With only one truck, Oct. 13, a tank truck was purchased. In 1966 an addition was made to the present building for a meeting and recreation room. In July, 1969, the township installed a bulk water supply at the Fire Station at a rate of one dollar (1.00) for 10,000 gallons.
On June 19, 1972, a new truck was purchased to replace the old tank truck. Formal showing was held on July 30, 1972. After the death of Chester M. Ferchau, Lloyd Lemmer was appointed to Fire Chief, for which he held until January of 1975, when he retired. Thomas J. Girard was then appointed Chief.
On February 15, 1975 Charter Members were honored. They included: Thomas J. Girard, Lloyd Lemmer, Albert Illikman, Jr., Carsten Gosen, Joseph Harrison, Herbert Young and Harold Sanderson. All are still with the department except Carsten Gosen who moved out of the township. Thirty men make up the department.